20 Things to do on the Coast these Holidays
You are doing something right in life if you’re lucky enough to call this sunny state your backyard right?
Whether you’re a Sunny Coast local or a regular holiday goer I think we can all agree that the Sunshine Coast is a pretty magical destination. And these last few years the Sunshine Coast has definitely found its cool. Whether you’re into nature, fine dining or getting real salty, we have created an epic list of 20 things to tick off your bucket list this Christmas holiday season for the whole family.
1. Christmas holidays wouldn’t be sunny coast style without some good old fish and chips watching the sun go down on Mooloolaba beach. Head to Mooloolaba Fish and Chips and get the best chips, some juicy Mooloolaba king prawns and head down to the beach with a rug (and a six pack of course) and enjoy the beautiful panoramic views of the coast.
2. Nothing like happy hour on holidays right? Make sure you head to Beach Bar and Grill for hearty steaks, creative parmigianas in an airy, beachfront bar hosting regular acoustic music.
3. When was the last time you went to Aussie World? Make it a must this holiday season, perfect for those overcast days where the beach isn’t calling. The kids will love it! They have a range of thrilling rides to suit all ages, a kids club, restaurants, shows and games. It will make for a fantastic day out for the whole family!
4. You haven’t experienced fine dining on the Sunshine Coast if you haven’t been to Bistro C. Positioned absolute beachfront overlooking Noosa’s Laguna Bay, Bistro C is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Take my word and try the Fraser Isle Spanner Crab Spaghetti for lunch and wash it down with a glass of Rose!
5. Head down to Mooloolaba and grab a fresh juice from Boost Juice before setting off on foot to the rock wall at the Mooloolaba spit and enjoy the panoramic views of the coast. The kids will also love the different parks along the way!
6. Or why not pack up the car and head away for the weekend on a Fraser Island Adventure Tour? Experience the sheer beauty, precious eco-systems, unique wildlife and tranquility of one of the world's great natural playgrounds.
7. Nothing like a BBQ on the beach in Summer right? There are multiple spots all over the Sunny Coast but we recommend grabbing your meat from Cotton Tree Meats. They are fourth generation butchers that have been proudly serving the Sunshine Coast with the freshest and finest locally sourced meat since 1980. And if you haven’t got your meat ready for Christmas Day yet, this is the place to go!
8. If you’re a pizza lover like us be sure to take the whole family along to Augellos. With an extensive children’s menu, Augello’s is a great place to bring the family. Augello’s Mooloolaba has been an iconic dining landmark on the stunning beachfront Mooloolaba tourist strip since 1995. They have two relaxing styles of dining. Alfresco on the lower deck or venture upstairs for beach and ocean views from the balcony.
9. On Sunday morning’s don’t forget to head down to the Cotton Tree esplanade for the Cotton Tree Markets. There is something for everyone with local artisans, designers or inventors selling their own unique and creative works. After your shopping head down to Envy for a delicious coffee and breakfast. They specialise in healthy, organic meals, freshly squeezed juices, wholefoods and superfoods!
10. If healthy isn’t your thing then you can’t go past Montezuma’s for some cheesy goodness. Try the Chilli Con Carne or the Speedy Gonzales! And don’t forget the sangria!
11. Hit the water in style with a sunset cruise aboard Catalina. This epic boat is photoshoot material, so dress to impress, and get snapping as this is without a doubt one of the best things to do on the Sunshine Coast.
12. I think we can all agree that Sunshine Coast is SUP lovers heaven. Rent some boards from Golden Beach and float along the protected Pumicestone Passage. With Caloundra on one side and Bribie Island on the other, this channel is teeming with underwater life, so keep those peepers peeled!
13. If you are a seafood lover and a lover for fine-dining then book yourself a table at Fish on Parkyn in Mooloolaba. You can’t go past the BBQ seafood plate or the malay seafood curry!
14. Did you bring your dog on holidays? Here is a local’s insider tip for the best dog park on the Sunshine Coast. Start by grabbing an iced vanilla latte at Twinfin’s by Buddina beach then start at La Balsa park and walk around Pt Cartwright to Kawana beach. Keep in mind off leash times are 4pm - 8am.
15. If you haven’t experienced Underwater World with the kids make it a must this Christmas holidays! Check out their underwater tunnel, seal island, a touch zone and a whole kingdom of jellyfish to wow the littles!
16. Head out for a Saturday night along Ocean Street. Start with some South American cuisine at Machu Picchu, then stroll down to Piano Bar for some live tunes before heading to Sol Bar for a good old booty shake.
17. Want to discover the most breathtaking beachy precinct on the Coast? Our pick would be a splash in the shallows at Tea Tree Bay, with a front row seat to the wave-slaying action of the Noosa points. From here you’ll agree there’s soooo much more to the Sunshine Coast than retirees and epic coffee. After your swim or surf refuel at Cafe Le Monde where they have been fueling surfers since 1986!
18. Visiting on the second Sunday of the month? Two words: Peregian Originals. Oh and BYO booze, cheese, crackers, and picnic rug.
19. Another locals insider tip for you. Throughout December make sure to check out the Mooloolaba pop-up cocktail bar brought to you by Sunsets Mooloolaba, at the famous “Loo With A View”. All proceeds go towards boosting the Mooloolaba tourism industry.
20. And last but not least. If you are around on a Friday night a great family night out is at the Marcoola Markets. Held every week, market stalls pop up on a vacant block in the centre of town and attract hungry locals ready to feast on some of the best cheap eats on the Sunshine Coast.
No matter what you choose to do, make sure you’re keeping cool this summer! Have a Merry Christmas!